Thursday, March 29, 2012

You Shall Overcome

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding." - Proverbs 3:5

I have heard it said many times after someone has endured a difficult time in life that those challenges are, “what made them today.”  This is a statement that I wholeheartedly believe.  It is absolutely true, at least in my book, that overcoming obstacles, facing tragedy, withstanding trials, are things that will shape and mold us into people who are not only stronger in the face of adversity, but stronger in our faith.

But, as I’ve journeyed through life, I’ve found something else to be entirely true…that sometimes our circumstances arise by choice, and not by fate.  And sometimes those circumstances didn’t necessarily help you to become who you are…they’ve actually delayed you from becoming the person God intended you to be.

A while back, I briefly wrote about the car accident I was involved in, and how I came to the understanding that God truly had a plan for me.  And although I did express the anger I initially felt towards God for seemingly derailing the plan that I had for my life, what I failed to include was how far from God I allowed my own choices to take me.

Dealing with such a heavy blow did leave me angry and confused, not understanding why things didn’t just “fall into place” the way I’d had my heart set on.  Because I carried this anger and hurt, I found myself in a dark place.  For a brief while, I found myself making choices that today, as an adult, terrify me.  I fell in with the wrong crowd, and I let those people bring me down.  I had total disregard for how my actions and words may hurt my family, my friends, and myself.  I didn’t care if anyone worried about me; I was going to do what I wanted to, no matter what.  And while I felt happy (or the illusion of happiness) most of the time, when I was alone, I felt emptiness.  I’d spent all this time filling the void with the world, and I’d left no room for God.  Once I realized that the pain and hurt remained, I began to understand that the void I was feeling was the result of my poor choices…and I knew that I had to regain the personal relationship with God that I’d so carelessly tossed aside.

For a long time, a carried a fair amount of guilt and shame for some of those choices I’d made.  I had a difficult time believing God still loved and forgave me after what I’d put Him through.  And I felt an incredible sadness when I thought about the amount of time I’d missed spending with God because I’d had my own agenda.  He wanted better for me. 

Things happen that are out of our control…the death of a loved one, the loss of a friendship, a tragic accident, mental or physical abuse, addictions…and we can all relate in some way to many of these situations.  As Christians, we’re here to love and support each other during these times.  Sometimes we let these unforeseeable and uncontrollable circumstances get the best of us; we cope on our own, only to find that these choices lead us into another place of despair and anguish.

It isn’t God’s will to see you in pain, to cause suffering or hurt.  When we find ourselves in those dark moments, where turning to the world for relief instead of turning to God seems like the best option…stop.  Remember how much He loves and cares for you, that He has always been right by your side, and that He’s made sacrifices and suffered through difficult times (Jesus, anyone?) just as we are.  But it does get better, and you will overcome.  Keep God first and foremost, and lean on your Christian family…and everything else will (eventually) fall into place.  We are strong when we lean on God.

There are still moments where even now, ten years later, I’ll feel a twinge of anxiety…but those days are few and far between.  I have finally understood that with God, we really can overcome anything…from severe tragedy to our own simple, stupid mistakes.

And maybe things won’t turn out the way you’d hoped or planned…but just remember, God’s plan for your life is so much more than you could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment