Saturday, March 31, 2012

Simple Blessings

Early this evening, I was standing at the kitchen sinking washing some of the utensils I was using to prep dinner, staring absentmindedly out the window, thinking about what a beautiful Spring day it had been.  I looked out at the edge of the pool, and saw two of our cats – Blueberry and Patches – lounging lazily.  My oldest cat, Mai Tai, came bounding through the pet door, nearly tripping over my husband’s flip flops, and I burst into laughter at the sight of his startled face, and Patches’ concerned glance.  I then immediately stopped scrubbing, and said a small prayer of thanks for the blessings I was surrounded with.
I’d spent an hour or so chopping veggies for dinner (Cajun chicken pasta), singing along to Van Morrison, sipping on one of my favorite red wines, and enjoying the endless sunlight, thanks to the time change.  It was the type of lazy Saturday afternoon that rarely comes, but is much appreciated when it arrives.  I knew any minute, my husband would come walking through the door from work, and we’d get to enjoy a super yummy meal and each other’s company.

It was in that moment, my pause in scrubbing, that I felt the strong desire to thank God for that day, and the joy I’d felt in so many simple tasks: folding fresh laundry, sweeping up fallen blossoms from our three hanging Scarlett Begonias (which are still alive!), reading an old Stephen King book for a few hours.  I was happy to chop fresh veggies, and thankful I had them for our supper.  I was filled with laughter at the sight of our four cats running around like mad, chasing each other, lizards, and even our dog Maggie Mae, all over the back yard.  And I was at peace, watching the sky slowly turn to pink.

Sometimes I get so caught up in thanking God for the big things He does for us, that I can completely neglect thanking him for the small things I am blessed to have each and every day.  But when I stop and really focus on all the things I have to be thankful for…well, the list is seemingly endless. 

Today, I found joy in simple tasks.  I felt appreciation for the world we’ve been given, right down to the grasshopper that Frankie brought inside the house.  And my heart was filled to the brim with the love God has for us, and the realization of just how much He’d given us.

While I was surprised at the overwhelming happiness I felt, it was a wonderful reminder that I should be focusing on these “small” blessings each and every day.  God does bless us with big, incredible, amazing gifts…but there are plenty of simple things out there to tell Him thanks for as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment