Saturday, March 3, 2012

Prayer Pause

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all cirucumstances...for this is God's will through Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

When Evan and I first moved to Cape Coral years ago, we rented a little house in a small neighborhood not too far from where we live today.  At the time, I was still based in our agency’s corporate office in Fort Myers.  Traveling across the bridge every morning proved to be a challenge, especially if I didn’t leave by 7:15am.  Sitting through the light at Del Prado and the Parkway two or three times was almost a given if I had fallen jut ten precious minutes behind schedule.

We had grown close with nearly all our neighbors not long after moving in (save for a few Yankees that I could never quite see eye to eye with).  One of our neighbors was a sweet old man, who split his time between bagging groceries at Publix, and volunteering at the Salvation Army’s thrift store just down the street.  He was quiet, kept to himself mostly, and always walked to work.  He was the type who would smile and wave when you passed, but not really stop to converse.  Because our house was so near the entrance to the neighborhood, we did see him nearly every day.

One morning, during season, I found myself running late for work – again.  After rushing around the house to quickly feed the cats, walk Maggie Mae (who was just a puppy at the time), turn on the dishwasher, and find my shoes, I grabbed my bag and bolted for the door.  I hurled my belongings into the back seat of our truck, hopped into the driver’s seat (uttering many four letter words at the time) cranked the engine and threw that sucker into reverse, ready to barrel down the driveway and into rush hour traffic.  This was not how I’d envisioned my day starting…my head was full of mean thoughts, anticipating the awful drive in and the disapproving looks from my supervisor, who would most certainly be waiting at my cubicle.  I also knew that starting my day on such a sour note would surely keep me on this negative path.  The day hadn’t even begun, and I was already thinking of crawling back in bed.

Halfway down the driveway, I was forced to slam on brakes, as our quiet and kind (and extremely slow) neighbor was making his way down the street, headed to the thrift store for his day of volunteering.  I glared at him in the rear view mirror, and continued spouting out a few more choice words.  Of all mornings, this is the one he decides to walk on MY side of the street?!

He made it to the center of our driveway, and stopped.  Then, he bowed his head, and brought his folded hands to his face…and he prayed.  His prayer lasted ten or fifteen seconds at best.  He concluded, made the sign of the cross, and continued on his way, never turning his head in my direction.

Witnessing this small act felt like a sucker punch to the gut.  Why was I in such a hurry?  Why was I placing so much importance on such menial things?  Turning into Speed Racer wasn’t going to clear the traffic; swearing at the coffee pot wasn’t going to make my day any easier.  What was the point of getting so upset over such silly things, completely beyond my control?

I’ll never know what my old neighbor stopped to pray for.  Maybe he saw my frantic face, and thought I could use some extra prayers that day.  Maybe he feared for his life when he saw me spin the tires just backing out of the driveway.  Or maybe he was just stopping to thank God for the beautiful day.  Either way, his small act changed my entire direction that day.

I was reminded that in all circumstances, good or bad, I need to take the time to be with God, to talk to Him, and thank Him for all He’s given me.  And this isn’t just in the major good and bad times…we’re talking every day.  Thanking him for BOGO Ranch dressing, for a day where the humidity never even comes close to reaching 100%, for a few quiet minutes alone…and even for the blessing of a career that may require getting up a little bit earlier in the morning to make it on time. 

In every situation, God is with you; right beside you, holding your hand, steering you in the right direction – if we just stop to pay attention.  Take a prayer pause in your busy day and have a chat with the Big Guy; thank him for your blessings, in all circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment