Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Giving Grace

"Let us consider how to spur one another on toward love and good deeds." - Hebrews 10:24

Today was one of those days.  Having a career in insurance guarantees that, out of all your working days during the year, a handful of them are going to be difficult.  Any agent will tell you, especially now, that insurance is one of those things folks are no longer considering to be protection or peace of mind, but rather a “necessary evil.”  Rates are going up, carriers are nonrenewing, and the State of Florida has no idea what to do about any of it a fair amount of the time…and we aren’t even in hurricane season yet.

Some clients have quite the penchant for getting under my skin…they complain, yell, swear, belittle and berate for what seems like an endless five minutes, hardly allowing you to get an word in edgewise (even though, last time I checked, I’m the one with the license – not them).  Difficult might not even be strong enough an adjective for some of these folks…

So, what I’ve challenged myself to do for quite some time now is to suck it up, show the love, and pray for my clients.

Why?  Well, first of all, because God commanded us to.  But secondly, it’s because I’ve realized that I’m not sure what they have going on at the other end of that phone line,.  They could be suffering from a terminal illness, going through a difficult divorce, losing their home, or getting ready to face the “empty nest” as their last child prepares to head off for college.  They could also be really upset with their Sweet Sixteen bracket.  Regardless, they sound like they could use someone on their side today, and I need to give them a little grace.

Since I’ve started praying for clients, I have found that more often than not, things will fall into place.  Oh sure, there’s always those few who will never be satisfied and will always be difficult, and I’ve learned to accept that and laugh it off (when I can).  But for the most part, extending the olive branch, or silently giving them the grace they may need, has made the day so much better, both for me and them.

If I think about my day, a full 24 hours, I could say I run into a lot of jerks.  And while many are strangers (like bad drivers on Del Prado trying to squeeze into the Dunkin’ Donuts parking lot) some of my “jerks” are folks I’m close with.  Co-workers, associates, clients, friends, even family.  But now, instead of wasting energy to criticize and condemn, I’m trying to redirect that, and focus on prayer instead, because the same “client theory” holds true – we don’t always know what our loved ones are going through.

So just because a co-worker snapped at you this morning, or a close friend hasn’t returned your last four calls, or your aunt let it slip that she liked your hair better before you cut it, doesn’t mean they are undeserving of love, grace and compassion.  And if you can’t find the words to express that to them directly, let God know.

Taking just a few minutes to talk with God and ask Him to help someone out with their struggles, to take whatever is burdening them and lighten the load, or just to fill their heart and mind with the hope and joy that can be found in Him, can be just the thing someone needs.  And…you can accomplish this without even having to hear about forgetting to change the coffee filter, taking out the trash, or calling your sister on her birthday!

Truth is, you could be Jesus in the flesh for someone today, whether you realize it or not.  And we could all use a little prayer. J

No comments:

Post a Comment