Monday, August 17, 2009

Surrounded by Greatness

"The heavens declare the glory of God." - Psalm 19:1
     A few blocks from our favorite grocery store sits a small strip mall, anchored by a hamburger joint. When it's time to drop those french fries in the grease, it seem an APB is sent out to every hungry blackbird, mocking bird, pigeon and dove in the tri-county area! Hundreds of them gather on the powerlines and roof of the restaurant, eaglery awaiting a plate missing the garbage can, or some soft hearted soul tossing their leftovers near the palm trees, providing a meal for our feathered friends.
     The squawking and chirping, cawing and peeping can be heard for blocks. It's very remniscent of the old Hitchcock movie...and I must say, on more than one occasion, I've felt nervous when walking through the parking lot. Oh, and I wouldn't dare park my car anywhere near their feeding ground!
     These birds could easily become a nuisance to many. The noise, the mess; I'm sure that somewhere, a hard working wildlife officer is plotting the great capture.
     At some point, I stopped thinking of these birds as pests, and really became fascinated by their habits. They perched so evenly spaced on the power lines, and their calls weren't so abrasive once I really listened and began to distinguish who was chirping what. Eventually, I was enthralled by these birds; they were truly amazing. Now, every time we drive past the restaurant, I roll down the window just to hear them singing! I'm sure they're singing a song of praise and thanks for their deep fried dinners; they sound so happy and joyful, why shouldn't I feel the same way?
     I sometimes take for granted the wondrous world God created especially for us. To think that every single part of our planet, from the greatest ocean to the teensiest ladybug - and even the birds - were created by God, for us...how amazing! I am not in thankful prayer enough for this great world; I certainly don't spend enough quiet time to sit in awe and wonder of all this glory spread out before me. If those birds find time to declare the glory of God each day, well it's time for me to join in the song!
"Father, you have given us much more than we could ever ask for, let alone even imagine. We are forever thankful for this blessing, and strive to make our thanks and gratefulness known to you and others each and every day. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment